As there becomes an increasing focus on the health of our environment, more businesses and offices are attempting to become more eco-friendly. While some individuals are excited and on board to create an eco-friendly office, others aren’t sure how to go about achieving this goal or if it’s really worth the effort.
By creating a more eco-friendly office, you are able to decrease the size of your carbon footprint and do your part to help the environment. So how can an eco-friendly office be achieved?
- Be aware of the amount of paper products you use on a day to day basis. When printing, use both sides of the paper to cut down on paper use. Instead of using paper cups for water or coffee, provide your team with mugs or reusable cups to cut down on waste.
- Try to limit your energy usage throughout the day. Instead of using bright overhead lights, try to use as much natural light as possible. Dim your computer monitor to a lower brightness to help reduce the amount of energy your computer uses. At the end of the day, unplug some appliances like the microwave and coffee maker while turning off your computer completely instead of placing it on sleep mode.
- Use products that have been created with recyclable materials. This can include writing utensils and other office supplies.
- Allow some staff members to telecommute during certain days of the week. This can help eliminate some energy use while also cutting down on the amount of furniture needed in the office. Create a schedule that will allow team members to use the same desk and computer on different days.
- When searching for new furniture for your office, look for used furniture rather than brand new furniture. It takes less energy to replenish an older piece of furniture rather than creating a new piece of furniture that might not last as long.
At Mark Downs Office Furniture, we specialize in new and used furniture to help turn your office into a collaborative space for your employees. From desks, to ergonomic chairs, to conference room tables, Mark Downs has everything you need to create a comfortable and welcoming work environment for your employees.
Want to get started with Mark Downs? Search our website for furniture pieces or stop in to our showroom, located conveniently in Cockeysville. Have a specific question? Call us today at 410-771-6800 to speak to a trained staff member.