Many underestimate the importance of choosing an ergonomic office chair. Choosing a chair that effectively supports your posture you help prevent back, neck, and wrist injuries and make you more productive. In order to choose the right chair for you, you will need to know the different characteristics of the ergonomic chair, and how each will best serve your needs. Keeping these things in mind will help you select the right office chair for you.
The Features Of An Ergonomic Chair
The relevant parts of an ergonomic chair are the height, armrests, back, seat, and headrest.
- Height: An ergonomic chair should be tall enough to allow you to sit comfortably with your feet flat on the floor. If the chair is the right height for you, your knees will be at perfect 90 degree angle and parallel to your hips.
- Armrest: Armrests support your back and shoulders, and are even more important if you spend a large portion of your workday typing at a computer. Armrests should be customizable to suit your needs perfectly.
- Back: The backrest of a true ergonomic chair should support the natural curve of your spine, which supports your lower back. It should be long enough to support your neck and shoulders, which allowing you the freedom of movement to support all of your sitting activities. Some ergonomic chairs even allow the back to recline.
- Seat: An ergonomic chair provides a comfortable support for your hips and buttocks. The seat depth should measure 2 to 4 inches from your back to the back of your knees.
- Headrest: This part of the chair supports your head when you sit in a reclined position. This is a useful feature if you spend more time sitting in a reclined position while talking on the phone than typing over the course of your work day.
Put Your Needs First
Consider what you will do most in your office chair. Will you be mostly typing, on the phone, or need to be able to readily access a number of different things on your desk. Consider your price point, and go to office furniture stores and try out chairs until you find the perfect one for you.
Office Furniture From Mark Downs
Want to get started with Mark Downs? Search our website for office furniture pieces or stop into our showroom, located conveniently in Cockeysville. Have a specific question? Call us today at 410-771-6800 to speak to a trained staff member. You can also follow Mark Downs Office Furniture today on Pinterest, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter!