Starting a new business can be both terrifying and exhilarating. A lot of time, energy, and money goes into beginning a business from the ground up. Once you have developed a solid business plan with partners, you must then find a place to conduct your business as well as hire employees. After the major decisions have been made, you are left looking into a bare space where your staff and coworkers are expected to conduct professional business. You are now faced with your next obstacle, the task of purchasing office furniture.
When purchasing office furniture for the first time, there are several things to consider before swiping that business card:
- How large is your space?- You don’t want to purchase furniture that won’t fit in your office or through doorways.
- How many employees do you have?- A small staff will be able to have individual desk space. A larger staff may need to work in a communal space until your business begins to expand.
- What type of budget are you facing?- Don’t empty your business account on furniture before you even begin to make money. Choose basic items to begin with and save the non-essential items until after money starts coming in.
- What type of business will you be conducting?- Will you be meeting with clients in your office space? How formal is your business? The answer to these questions will help you decide if a reception area is necessary for your space.
Most businesses that are beginning for the first time should focus on the follow items as “essential” furniture pieces for the office:
- Ergonomic chairs– While these chairs may seem expensive, the payout is well worth it. Ergonomic chairs are proven to increase productivity as well as promote good health.
- Lighting- Don’t rely solely on natural light to conduct business in. Choose lamps and lighting fixtures that will allow your staff to work properly.
- Desks- Determine how many desks are necessary to start with, and then choose sturdy pieces that will last you a decent amount of time.
At Mark Downs Office Furniture, we specialize in ergonomic and used office furniture to help your new business get started. From chairs to desks to filing systems, Mark Downs has everything a business needs to furnish their new office space.
Want to get started with Mark Downs? Search our website for furniture pieces or stop in to our showroom, located conveniently in Cockeysville. Have a specific question? Call us today at 410-771-6800 to speak to a trained staff member.
Follow Mark Downs Office Furniture today on Google+, Pinterest, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.